There Is No Shortcut

There Is No Shortcut

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Breaking In

Breaking in

If you are wondering where I have been for the last two weeks, read the title. Not to mention the last stretch for my 10km race!

[Suscribe to be informed of the new posts!]

While talking about your 10000 hours, I forgot one of the most important step ; the first one.

Breaking in can be complex, frustrating, demanding and a self-esteem destroyer. It requires a lot of patience, which some of the 10K blog readers my not have. The great story of Edwin C. Barnes, Thomas Edison’s business partner, comes to my mind. This story was found in an excellent book called Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. If you did not read it, stop living under a rock and get a copy here. This young man had 2 challenges and a lot of guts ;

First; He was broke. He could not afford to meet Mr. Edison living far away from his location.
Second; He did not know Mr. Edison.

How did he break in? Confidence and determination. Edwin did not waiver because of fear. He did not wait for Mr. Edison to pick him up like a flower. He simply went in with the best he had and ended up a business partner to the world’s greatest inventor. Now, you may say that this example is far fetched and almost impossible to replicate. I would not think so. Music mogul, P. Diddy (or whatever his name is nowadays) did something similar. Wanting to get in the music business badly, young Diddy offered himself as an unpaid intern for an extended period of time. He was in. After getting in, he worked tirelessly to impress higher management and finally managed the successful 90’s R&B group, Jodeci. The rest is history.

These examples shows you that if you are determined and flexible in your approach, very few events or challenges can stop you. I am here to try to ignite the fire in you.

As I mentioned earlier, it is critical that you START RIGHT NOW. Do not wait, it will cost you time and 10000 hours is a very long time. We do not live that long.

On my part, I am refining my job/entrepreneurial strategies and working on my own break. If you are getting rejected too often, work on your own until you get some recognizable accomplishments. Be patient, when you paid your dues, it is hard to say no to an expert. The goal here is to get really good, not perfect.

Which reminds me, Voltaire said ; perfect is the enemy of good. Now go and crash through these doors my friends.

Cheers,

Yvens

No comments:

Post a Comment