There Is No Shortcut

There Is No Shortcut

Monday, January 3, 2011

The 10,000 hours origin

Where did this came from?

This idea came from reading Malcolm Gladwell’s book, Outliers. This book discusses the reason why certain people are overachievers. It also explains why do people, even with great advantages (high IQ, heir to a fortune etc…) sometimes fails. I strongly suggest purchasing/renting this book.
I liked the idea. I read tons of books about success and accomplishment. None of them were specific. I need meat around my bone, and this book delivered.



The idea is that you need to spend 10,000 hours of deliberate practice in order to attain mastery of a task. This, in Malcolm’s calculation, equals to 10 years.  The idea hunted me;

10 years of work and improvement? That sounds like a risk-free investment!

In fact, it is more complicated that this. You might need more than 10,000 hours. The idea made me realize that you need to rethink yourself. You need to reset your priorities. The book forced introspection. But there is one thing that I am thankful for, it challenged my status-quo. It inspired me and opened my eyes to possibilities that were within me, but that were clouded with fear and disillusion. Now friends, with you, I embark on a journey.

Together we will learn the process and steps in order to accomplish those 10K and be able to share it with other “10Ker’s”. I do not promise that it will be easy. There will be challenges along the way. Remember though, it is a journey of constant self-improvement and not overnight success.

On the next post, I will provide the first step in order to prepare for the 10K. I encourage you to share this post and discuss it with friends.
Is success an unexpected fireball or a lengthy marathon? 

No comments:

Post a Comment